ARE YOU A HIGH SCHOOL OR RISING COLLEGE STUDENT WHO LOVES ART AND KIDS?
Watkins Community Education wants you to join us as a Summer Programs Intern! We are looking for highly motivated high-school and college students who:
- Love making art
- Have experience working with kids (babysitting, helping younger siblings, previous work or volunteer experience, etc.)
- Are responsible, personable, positive, and proactive.
- Want to gain work experience for their college resume.
- Want to get the most out of their summer by assisting our professional teaching artists in providing a creative camp experience for kids ages 5-13.
This is a competitive, unpaid internship, where participants will gain valuable work experience for their resume and possibly even letters of recommendation for college!
Summer Camp Application Deadline: May 1, 2017
To Apply: Fill out the following application. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis and qualified applicants will be invited for an interview.
The full job description is listed below.
COMMUNITY EDUCATION SUMMER PROGRAMS INTERN
This an unpaid position, filled for the entire month of June. Students will work with Watkins Community Education staff during the following summer programs: Summer Art Camp (ages 5-13) and Teen Workshops (high school ages). Interns will work from either 8AM-1PM or noon-5PM each day of camp, exceeding no more than 25 hours per week. Interns will be supervised by all staff, including the Director and Coordinator of Community Education, and will report directly to the Summer Programs Assistant.
Education/Work Experience<: Rising high school juniors, seniors or college freshmen seeking experience in education, art education, or studio art.
Required knowledge, skills, and personal qualifications:
- Be positive, patient, perceptive, and resourceful
- Be responsible, intuitive, observant, and adaptable
- Be able to solve problems and troubleshoot with little supervision
- Excellent communication skills and customer service-oriented attitude with parents, campers and workshop attendants between ages of 5-18
- Experience or interest in fine art or arts education is preferred
Summer Art Camp & Teen Workshops Duties
- Arrive on time and ready to work with a positive attitude
- Follow Watkins Community Education’s policy and protocol
- Assist with daily studio preparation and organization
- Maintain a welcoming, supportive environment for parents, children, teens, and staff
- Maintain clear, consistent, and respectful communication with parents, campers/teen workshop attendants, Watkins staff members, and camp instructors
- Develop and employ skills of classroom management by monitoring participants during studio sessions, lunch, pre-camp and post-camp care, breaks, etc
- Provide positive solutions for problem resolution, encourage dialog, and seek support for behavioral and disciplinary discussions from the Director and Coordinator of Community Education
- Assist Summer Programs Assistant and instructors in classroom management
- Assist with preparation, distribution, and clean up of materials and supplies, organize supplies and keep materials stocked at all times
- Prepare materials, supplies and studio materials before camp begins and assist preparing the studio for the next class
- Directly engage with campers: encouraging art making, playing games, and facilitating positive learning experiences throughout daily camp activities
- Ensure projects are completed, identified, and prepared for participants to take home when completed
- Assist with camper drop-off/pick-up
- Assist with end-of-camp studio organization and clean-up
- Accept projects and additional activities as requested by Community Education Coordinator, Director, Summer Programs Assistant and camp instructors